Bluebird & Other Scale Models

RichM

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by RichM »

Turns out Tamiya masking tape isn’t as good as I thought - a bit of bleed, but it’ll touch up /polish out.
The colour I decided on in the end... Halfords brake calliper paint... :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

Airbrush mask is better for that type of masking, It holds it's edge properly with no bleed providing it is well seated.
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
Richie

Post by Richie »

Rich, I’d say it would be worth you investing in an airbrush....I borrow my sons all the time, massive difference in finish and it saves me money on paints etc etc.

Crusader is looking the business though, well done !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Tamiya make a brush-on, latex mask too. That works well.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

Renegadenemo wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:09 pm Tamiya make a brush-on, latex mask too. That works well.
Is that the same type as the Humbrol Maskol ?
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
RichM

Post by RichM »

Hope you’re all keeping safe and well - I finally got around to testing crusader last night - just needs the propshaft lowering a tad, no video but snapped a few pics...
Also managed to get my spirit of Australia out, see attached video. This was on just under half throttle.
1/8th K7 still having fuel pump issues :shock:

https://youtu.be/D3WeyzW-22Q
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ThornyBush

Post by ThornyBush »

Looks Good Rich - I hope you are well.
"Turned Out Nice Again!"
""There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one."
Motorbikes, Big Blue "Boats", 1/2 Scale Wooden Silver Boats.... and Craft Ales (but not all at the same time)...
Richie

Post by Richie »

Looks great Rich.... I am shortly about to embark on my own scale model project, thanks to Bill who got me a 1:200 scale HMS Hood Model as a 40th birthday gift. I have since purchased a reference book and have been looking at the detail up packs online (lots of photo etch and wood). My great uncle Dick Black served onboard this ship but fortunately wasn’t present during her three minute engagement with Bismarck....speaking to family it seemed he had shingles / measles so was not allowed onboard when she set sail and missed the proverbial boat.

It will take me many months I am sure... was tempted to make it RC with mobile turrets and smoker unit, but I think a glass case will be better and keep it a static model.
6D24A1B0-16F3-45D5-A654-F9C92C5C1D28.jpeg
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
RichM

Post by RichM »

Wow, that HMS Hood is a fantastic model! How lucky he ‘missed the boat’, but a fantastic story and family historical connection :) It’s so easy to get lost in detailing these things - I built the 1/350 titanic years ago, converted it to the Olympic, bought all the photoetch hop-ups and still haven’t got around to finishing it :lol:
Richie

Post by Richie »

Tell me about it, there are numerous detail up packs which cost more than the model itself, I think I will stop at railings decks and main armament !

I have the metal bending tool here ready, I have been going through archive footage and images, along with the book I posted. The model is a good size to say the least ! I will keep you all posted :)