Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Renegadenemo

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'd bet you're bang on with that theory. Never thought of that. Now you need to work out what the colour is on the car.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
RichM

Post by RichM »

Off to Birmingham with a paint scraper then!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Of all the tools we used to nail down the correct shade of Bluebird blue the one that was most accurate and consistent was a hand held spectrophotometer as used by makeup artists. Failing that, the good old RAL colour chart did a good job.

The problem we had was that, although we knew we were looking at RAL 5009, there was then a dozen shades that were technically the right colour but which were subtly different to one another. We had it explained by the paint boffins how you can approach the correct colour via the blue part of the spectrum or the green part or the yellow and from any direction you will eventually arrive at 5009 but it won't be quite the same 5009 as it would be had you have come in from one of the alternate directions.
In the end the clever people from Cromadex worked out which way to creep up on it and made the paint for us. We pulled our hair out for years over that problem so that in the end all the public got to see was precisely the right shade of blue in the summer sunshine.

Richie

Post by Richie »

Looking great Rich.

What ESC / motor setup are you running ? I wondered if she was particularly ”skitty” it could be worth fitting a small Pizo gyro which will help it track straight...

Racing the RC Cars especially brushless with high C rate batteries, some guys were caught fitting gyros to steering servos, they got disqualified, but by gosh did they work at keeping the cars straight when gunning it up the straight.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
RichM

Post by RichM »

Cheers Richie,
Like I said, all Ernie’s work, I’ve just started to add the details.
I’m not sure what the motor is as the water jacket hides the details, however it’s a big (36mm?) brushless at a guess 2000kv, with a swordfish 220A ESC driving a flexishaft.
I’ve never tried gyros in boats before, but like you say, I bet it makes a big difference!
My main problems were, it was the first time I’d ever run it, and it was in the middle of one of the many storms we’ve been having recently.
Crusader is very high sided at the front, so a slight bit of wind just pushed the front end around, even on full lock the opposite way :shock:
Richie

Post by Richie »

Blimey !

Yeah she is a big old girl, just looking at the two 1/8 scale models you have of K7 and Crusader, best description I can come up with is the latter is pretty much a Zeplin on sponsons.

Also with them side by side it shows how design had moved on in a figuratively short period, K7 looks (and still does) space age against crusader.

Like I said in the diary piece “hands down the most beautiful machine moving on this earth”
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Fantastic to see the model and Rich in the flesh today, thanks for bringing it along to show us, can’t wait to see how it progresses !
RichM

Post by RichM »

I’ll keep you posted :) nice to meet you too, good to put some names to faces!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Indeed - it looks fabulous. Just need to sort out that red colour now. :D

RichM

Post by RichM »

Little update on my own crusader project - we now have a very monochrome looking John Cobb to sit in a monochrome looking Crusader :)
Judging by all the period photos, this shade of grey appears correct ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.