Pic of the Day

conistoncollie

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by conistoncollie »

When I used to illustrate jet engine fuel system maintenance manuals we had to get such details as direction of spring / thread helix correct.
Otherwise it would not get signed off and passed for release by QC.
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

O/T I know but, to answer your post.

I wish QC was that good nowadays, sadly most of the diagrams I see in manuals now are very lack lustre at best.
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I wish QC was that good nowadays, sadly most of the diagrams I see in manuals now are very lack lustre at best.
You'll be pleased to know that in aerospace at least the QA is as fanatical as ever. Our original throttle valve was found to have a corrosion pit in the inner bore that allowed a couple of litres of fuel to weep by in an hour. It wasn't enough to run the engine - nowhere near - so the engine would stop so the piston pump would stop so there'd be no pressure to push the fuel past the almost invisible corrosion pit in the first place. Nor would it flow enough on startup to be a problem there but, no, it was declared scrap and a new one had to be made from scratch.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

Yowsers!

Thinking about it though, I can understand Aerospace being so very demanding and so absolute where such critical mechanical componentry is concerned.

Certainly good to know that standards are as high as ever, if not ever higher year on year in the industry.

This is all a little O/T of course, yet somehow still seems relevant as it links nicely to how much time I , personally, would say is being paid to detail, accuracy and mechanical perfection during the rebuild of K7.

Hats off to the whole team for doing such excellent work so far.
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
Richie

Post by Richie »

Today's POTD is actually BFG worshiping his precision work on the steering linkage rod. BFG's hands are in the bay making an offering to said linkage and the light source you can see is in fact a candle :lol: :lol: :lol: !

and rightly so I might add !

the team are fair chipping along now, and seeing a certain pair of rather large sections of aluminium resting in situ (tuther day) was testament to the progress.

let me at that rivet gun !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Come launch week, I reckon he will still be there pretending to drill 3/32 holes in it ;)

All joking aside, a top bloke , top engineer / fabricator.

and that's three nice things I said, so as per the code I must text him three nasty comments to restore balance !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
sbt

Re: Technical Talk

Post by sbt »

Ref latest 'Pic of the Day' (wasn't sure whether to put this here or there...)

I thought you were going to Heat Treat the Outer Floors to restore the metals properties. All this slapping paint on stuff seems to indicate that you have decided not to. Is this because its not needed, not needed enough or simply impractical, like Powder Coating?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I thought you were going to Heat Treat the Outer Floors to restore the metals properties. All this slapping paint on stuff seems to indicate that you have decided not to. Is this because its not needed, not needed enough or simply impractical, like Powder Coating?
It's a bit of everything. The panels are extremely difficult to handle as they like to bend where there are lots of rivet holes crossing them, they would need a 6m fixture to get them into the furnace then into the quench tank, they'd surely deviate during heat treatment and 20ft of rivet holes wouls go out of alignment but - and this is the main reason - the weird stuff they're made of is growing harder by the day and is almost back to how it was.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I was shocked at how much the material had returned to its god awful springy hard state in the short time we have had to work with it. crazy weird stuff !

Mind, I take exception to the slapping on of paint comment ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sbt

Post by sbt »

Richie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:59 pm Mind, I take exception to the slapping on of paint comment ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, I was a bit out of date. I see now that you are Jackson Pollocking it on. :)