Pic of the Day

Renegadenemo

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:38 am

I have a particular affinity for that panel. It was the first big piece lifted.
We moved it in October 2000.
I knelt on the lakebed and blew a lift bag without knowing that I was sitting on top of the target. How I escaped being cut to ribbons as it exploded from the mud and shot past my face or dragged to the surface with it I will never know but that was the first and last piece bagged to the surface. After that we took a tend-line with a set of grips on the end, clamped them on then put the smallest toot of air in the lift bag then pulled on the line once all the divers were safely aboard. Once clear of the bottom the bag would expand and do all the work.
Happy days...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Richie

Post by Richie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Current POTD

Mike are you not itching to get the radio set mounted in, along with all the other gubbins..now that the cockpit is sealed in ?

I know it'd all have to come back out again, but still !!
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:25 am

Not really- as you say, it'd just have to come back out again anyway, and there's not much point in putting stuff in just for it to get filthy. Plus the radio box would be in Checkie's way for installing the cockpit wiring loom.

Richie

Post by Richie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:01 am

But it would be cool to look at for like five minutes :lol:

Also today's POTD...... If that's the panel I tigged patches into etc, I will be amazed if dye pen has not made it through to the other side :D

I am certainly no Chris Hazel.

yet

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Having seen the way the underside of the bows is fastened on, I would say that something had gone very, very wrong.. ;) ;)
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..

Techteam

Post by Techteam » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:55 am

It's not a criticism,It must be just me, those screws are doing my head in. I must have OCD and you cannot even see one of them ! Which is even worse. I've just spend the better part of 10 minutes thinking about the combinations of alignment. It's Mikes fault for aligning them so perfectly.

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:41 am

In order to go full OCD, the top and lower three bolts should align, leaving the centre vertical three's to then align.

Enjoy :D

Techteam

Post by Techteam » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am

Richie wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:41 am
In order to go full OCD, the top and lower three bolts should align, leaving the centre vertical three's to then align.

Enjoy :D
See Its not just me. I feel so much better. :D

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:36 am

Some anoraks talk in hushed, reverent tones of Leo aligning all the screw heads on the boat, but anyone with some decent photos and a pair of eyes will soon see that that was utter nonsense; a screw ends up in the position it tightens to, simple as. Maybe though the story relates to the Dzus fasteners- they would naturally all align as you went along.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:52 am

Regarding yesterday's POTD. There seems to be a commonly held misconception that Helicoils are some sort of last resort, cheap fix when in reality they are without question the most efficient way of fastening anything into soft alloy. Anchor nuts are great and as good (but certainly no better) whilst being horribly labour-intensive to install. So what we did with the 'dragon's teeth' was to rivet in short strips of 3/16th 2024-T3 alloy left over from the sponson build under the corrugations then drill and insert Helicoils once the outer floor was on. Credit to Rich - the master of Helicoils - they're bulletproof.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."