Pic of the Day

midlife

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by midlife » Sun May 14, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, I'm sure I've read that it is a manual system, as it was commented on that when she was recovered they found that DMC had deployed it during his final moments.
Cheers
Wayne

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun May 14, 2017 12:34 pm

I'm sure I've read that it is a manual system, as it was commented on that when she was recovered they found that DMC had deployed it during his final moments.
It was manually operated via a switch on the instrument panel and the brake was found in the down position leading us to wonder whether Donald had tried to use it but later, when we stripped the hyd' system, we discovered an accumulator so the brake could be deployed in the event of an engine failure. There's also one or two pic's of the boat on the slipway in the morning with the brake down and one of he captions on the checklist, in Dymo tape on the instrument panel, says to retract the brake so we now believe that it was extended post-accident by stored accumulator pressure.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Sun May 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Anyone interested in the water brake needs to head over to the shop and get themselves a copy of Rebuilding Bluebird Part 5- there's a great long sequence there of Bill explaining and demonstrating the water brake system. ;)

http://www.bluebirdproject.com/index.ph ... y=18889325

ron54

Post by ron54 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Thank you for all replies..I suppose what I am trying to establish in my mind is whether DC had time and presence of mind to actually deploy the brake at the moment it all started to go wrong...or is it just an assumption because the rod was in the dropped position when the hull was eventually found it has become a fact that he did manually lower it.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon May 15, 2017 12:52 am

.I suppose what I am trying to establish in my mind is whether DC had time and presence of mind to actually deploy the brake at the moment it all started to go wrong...
I'd say very unlikely if not impossible.

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed May 17, 2017 10:48 am

Today's POTD, by chance did one of the roll over Joh stands get recycled into the joggle tool stand ?
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 am

Yup, spot on.

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Is this the same piece that was seen being raised from the lake in the "Lift DVD"?
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri May 19, 2017 8:02 pm

That's the one. The opposite side was in two halves. We got the first bit in Oct 2000, the rest didn't come out until April 2007 after a four month search.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:00 am

Hearty congrats upon progress evidenced in today's POTD.

It's as clear an indication as you could ever have of the great strides made. So easy to take them for granted, but - as Ringo said - "It don't come easy."

Nigel