Quicksilver

Mike Bull

Quicksilver

Post by Mike Bull » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:04 pm

As the last news update was June 2008- when the chap was hacksawing bits of off Nigel's frame- I've not frequented the Quicksilver website all that often, but when I browsed in there yesterday, I noted that there was a new photo of 'the craft' on the main page-

http://www.quicksilver-wsr.com/

(Scroll down, it's below the CG image of the thing 'at sea'!)

I thought for a sec, 'ooh, something's happening' but that I realised that it's a sponson from his mock up, and the same chopped about frame and engine we've been seeing for years. And what's the other sponson there, MDF? Cardbroard?

I'd still bet my family jewels that K7 will be getting wet and kicking up a spray long before Quicksilver; but I wondered, is Nigel hoping for a boost in interest in his efforts once K7 has made headlines the world over? He's clearly enjoyed the Campbell 'connection' to date...

(Let's keep discussion on this one on the side of decent please- whatever most people think of it, it is a fellow UK project, kind of a thing)
'...no tears to cry no feelings left- this species has amused itself to death'.

Renegadenemo

Re: Quicksilver

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:55 pm

It's all a bit of a shame if you ask me. They could've finished it twice in the time they've had and with the money that's passed through their hands. What's going wrong in there? Maybe we ought to finish it for them when the blue one is done - wouldn't take long.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:01 pm

Maybe we should have a Bluebird Project fund raising dinner with lots of rent-a-speakers?!

(We'd be better off decked out in our team shirts, wandering about the crowds at Marillion gigs with blue buckets and needy smiles!)

:lol:

klingon

Post by klingon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:07 pm

Yeah-could always get that McCartney fella to sing "Bluebird" with a polystyrene cup in front of him! :lol:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:10 pm

hi bill i met you at the ken warby dinner at torver on oct 20th 2007. spent the night before in the black bull with novie, paul and john from the srg. after sitting there over a pint of bluebird bitter for about ten minutes, trying to explain to the better half why i had just become a dribbling idiot i was kindly introduced to ken by john from the srg. (must have been the BBP polo shirt that did it!) mr warby then went on to say that "mr mcknight was making a career of going after the WWSR but would never do it" (probably not an exact quote so call off the lawers!) not a dickie bird has been posted on the site since last summer when they cut ken norris's frame in half! enough said me thinks

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:35 pm

I'd like to have seen ken's original four-point design take to the water. Back in 66 both he and Lew had advised against Donald going after 300 in the old K7. He had an offer to do a lecture tour of Australia so the Norris boys told him to go and while he was away they'd design him a new boat based on what they'd learned from K7. But he didn't...
The original QS design is, so far as I understand, the boat they were going to design for Donald and what a triumph that would be - a Norris design taking another record posthumously.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Ken Warby's words were 'with all due respect to Nigel, I can't wait another 20 years'!!!

(I know, as I've got KW's little retirement announcement as a video clip)

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:49 pm

does make you wonder why it was modified given the designers pedigree! seen lot of different artists impressions of the finished craft, but it looked like in the last version shown on the website that the pilot was going to be sat in one of the sponsons! if the little blue "canopy shape windows" are what they look like. could take occilation enduced vision loss to new extremes. or perhaps it was just a way of prelonging the project! howabout "bluebird quicksilver" as the next project?

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:53 pm

hi mike these were just the words he said in the bull. i think the words "off the record" were in his mind at the time. hopefully no one will sue! we are among friends

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:I'd like to have seen ken's original four-point design take to the water. Back in 66 both he and Lew had advised against Donald going after 300 in the old K7. He had an offer to do a lecture tour of Australia so the Norris boys told him to go and while he was away they'd design him a new boat based on what they'd learned from K7. But he didn't...
The original QS design is, so far as I understand, the boat they were going to design for Donald and what a triumph that would be - a Norris design taking another record posthumously.

The original Quicksilver design was referred to as a 4 pointer but I challenged Nigel about this; The front planing area was effectively one piece with a channel through the centre thus breaking it into two sperate areas in contact with the water but that in my view did not make it a four point hydroplane. It was still one point forward and two aft. He did not disagree! Thats aside from the air cushion suspension point but we best not go there!