50th Anniversary of Donald Campbell's LSR

jtep

50th Anniversary of Donald Campbell's LSR

Post by jtep »

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for any information about Donald Campbell's team - specifically anyone of Australian nationality - who worked alongside him on the Bluebird LSR attempt at Lake Eyre.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or potential leads you may be able to offer.

Cheers,

JT
Pullman99

Re: 50th Anniversary of Donald Campbell's LSR

Post by Pullman99 »

Hi jtep!

It was Donald's exploits in Australia in 1963 / 64 that first got me hooked on record breaking (although I was also aware of the 1960 attempt at Bonneville). I do hope that the 50th anniversary - on 17th July 2014 - of the successful LSR attempt at 403.1 mph does not get overlooked. Not sure where you are based, but Blubeird CN7 is on exhibition at The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu here in the UK.

As to contacting Australian personnel, you would probably find it worthwhile to read through the books and publications surrounding the project, especially John Pearson's "Bluebird and the Dead Lake". BP were involved heavily up to the end of 1963 and then the Australian firm Ampol. Dunlop stayed with the project and their representative - Andrew Mustard - was with Donald for a considerable part of that time. He retired to Australia and had used his own Elfin single-seater (which still exists in an Australian collection) for tyre and track testing. Sadly, and now as with many of the others associated with the project, he passed away some years ago. The track that Donald used was located on the sheep station of Elliot Price and his family may be able to provide some more local insight into that period. I have attached a link to the Conservation Area that bears his name. The Australian Army had a significant involvement in track and access road preparation in both years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Eyre_National_Park

At slight personal risk (don't ask!) I will also mention that the project was loaned four Lightburn Zeta cars (Australian made but with links to the British Turner sports car)for use by the team and the camera crew making the documentary "Project Bluebird" for Dunlop. Footage from this was also included in Donald's own film "How Long a Mile?" BP, having left the project, also made a film called "Muloorina" which was about the sheep station and its harsh environment rather than specifically about the Campbell LSR attempt.

Apart from that, I think some research amongst the publications and books on Donald Campbell may provide appropraite leads. Do keep this Forum informed of progress!
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Just a reminder that - although the 50th is in two years time - today is the 48th anniversary of Donald's record with CN7 at Lake Eyre on the 17th July 1964.

Still ranks as one of the all-time great achievements in LSR history and the story of this remains an inspiration to many.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

I'll Second that, a real inspiration to me and many more throughout the world. Top Bloke that Donald Campbell :D
Novie
I've Gone.
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
clp

Post by clp »

Hi,

I have on hand a flip file compiled by Donald for Cyril Lord " In profound appereciation of an old and dear friend and all his help and encouragement, which contributed so much to the success achieved"- signed Donald.
This flip file cover states BLUEBIRD LAKE EYRE 17TH JULY 1964 403.1 M.P.H.The file has 12 black and white photographs (20X 26) with descriptions -I can email these to you to have a look at as it will make for interesting discussion - If this will help you with your 50th Anniversary LSR.

warm regards
Charmaine (clp)
Knysna,
South Africa
charmspallent@gmail.com
k7projectbluebird

Post by k7projectbluebird »

Greetings All,
I noticed at the top of this blog someone (sorry I'm new to blogging) was wanting to contact an Aussie with knowledge about Donald Campbell's time in South Australia.
FYI I am a member of a group in Barmera SA called K7 Project Bluebird - website: k7projectbluebird.net - email: info@k7projectbluebird.net - we have three aims. To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Campbell setting an Australian Water Speed Record on Lake Bonney, Barmera,(216mph) on 23/11/1964; to have a full size replica model of Bluebird K7 to be displayed in a glass walled building on the shores of Lake Bonney and, finally, to establish a museum in Barmera to celebrate all things Donald Campbell and Bluebirds K7 and CN7 whilst in SA in 1963 and 1964.
To date I have recorded a video interview with a Barmera man who worked closely with Donald at both Lake Bonney and also Lake Dumbleyung, WA, Where Donald got his World Water Speed Record (276.33mph) on 31/12/1964.
I also have a gentleman from Renmark SA lined up for video interview regarding his membership of the unsuccessful 1963 land speed record attempt on Lake Eyre. My group is also in contact with a group in Dumbleyung who have the privilege of being able to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the World Water Speed Record.
I am happy to share information with interested parties.
jubjubmane

Post by jubjubmane »

with knowledge about Donald Campbell's time in South Australia.
download gclub