Checking for leaks - a cunning ploy

elgringo

Checking for leaks - a cunning ploy

Post by elgringo »

I do hope you don't mind this useful suggestion (as I'm sure you have this covered) . . .

The following came to mind when I saw today's Pic of the Day, i.e. K7's holey floor . . .

Whilst renovating a yacht a few years ago, we found a smoke machine (as per bee-keepers puffy little hand-held device) really useful to identify the source of tiny holes in the hull. Simply puff away on the exterior, and watch for smoke appearing on the interior. This identified the smallest of orifices prior to immersion, and saved those annoying problems once she was back in the water (and therefore much pumping of bilges).

I hope I'm not teaching Granny to suck eggs, and all that.
Just thought this might help.

Best regards,
Lesley
elgringo

Re: Checking for leaks - a cunning ploy

Post by elgringo »

Ha ha - if Rob is a chain-smoker this could work !!

The alternative would be the Pains Wessex Aurora Orange Handsmoke which emits a cloud of far denser (and very vivid) orange smoke.
However, this can be seen fom 4 klm away in a 10 knot breeze, at sea level, and even further from an aircraft - in which case the RNLI will be descending upon your (then very orange) workshop !!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

In point of fact it doesn't matter whether we leave a few holes in that floor because it's the inner floor. What really keeps the water out is a full length outer skin attached to the other side of the corrugations as seen in the pic. Now if that one leaks we'll be in trouble.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Thanks for volunteering me as a human leak detector Mike, would be happy to oblige but i fear i may face a fine for smoking within an enclosed area consisting of two sides or more. Bet the p.c brigade that brought the smoking ban in are kicking themselves now. :lol:
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
klingon

Post by klingon »

Yeah we got by that one easily in Glasgow-take one Anti Smoking Warden-beat him to death with an ashtray then nail his corpse to the workshop door-they don't come near again!
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"