4th January 2016

sheppane

4th January 2016

Post by sheppane »

49 years ago today, just after 8.48 am, Bluebird K7 hurtle's towards the measured kilometre for the last time...
On this day in particular, we all remember the life and achievements of Donald Campbell C.B.E.
BB4167.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
astalclive_elliott

Re: 4th January 2016

Post by astalclive_elliott »

As
The years pass by the people that witnessed the event and even remember it ,reduce year by year .
But newer /younger generations ,discover /re-discover and begin to appriciate this great man's achievement's ,and how difficult it all was /is .
putting it all into perspective for me was james may on top gear going flat out on a perfect road in a bugatti veyron i.e. a perfect surface ,was quite pleased with the result .
BUT TO D.C. ,And norman buckley this speed would have been noncommital,and this not on a road but on that most unstable and unpredictable of surfaces ,water !

So then and now maximum respect to D.C. and his team ,pushing the boundary's then .and now,we will never see his like again ?
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

astalclive_elliott wrote: and now,we will never see his like again ?
As a question rather than a statement, I feel sure others will arrive at a lake to challenge for the outright water speed record. They will do so knowing that all they will receive is an illuminated certificate from the UIM and a single line entry on the all time list.

However the person at the controls will achieve their record because of capable engineers who can design and calculate the advantage of a 'safety cockpit'.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
Richie

Post by Richie »

Pushing the boundaries, going where folk have feared to go, achieving the impossible

Sounds like some people I know who at this minute are in the middle of a rather unique project

Of course that's just my humble opinion ;)
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Just by chance today or was it :o I came over from Hawkshead with my head full of the days work ahead. Then as we came down from Monk Coniston towards the North end of the lake in the wagon I found myself starring straight down the lake and said out loud looking at the good lake conditions "we could do 400 M.P.H on that surface" my colleague looked bemused until I explained the significance of the date. The view straight down the lake was pretty much as it would have been on 4th January 1967 but without the frosty cold chill and crisp feel as told to me by those present. Then I looked across at the time on the digital display and it was exactly 08.51am the moment of impact 49yrs ago today.

Perfect timing to pay my respects by the lakeside. Donald Campbell C.B.E "The Last of The Great Adventures "
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

Members of the Speed Record Club gathered in Coniston over the weekend to pay tribute to Donald, the 24th such time for the Club. This year proved to be rather special as Gina and Mr Whoppit also joined us, pictured here at the Campbell Memorial. After a visit to Belle Grange Cottage on the Lake Windermere shoreline where Sir Henry Segrave was recovered to following his 1930 accident Club Chairman Paul Hannaford gave a detailed account of his ill fated WSR attempt at the Windermere Motor Boat Racing Club.

Further pics on the SRC Facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 720&type=3

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.