Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Renegadenemo

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Renegadenemo »

We don't really want the sideways stresses on the machine next time, it took quite a toll.

On the one hand it proved what a robust machine she is but on the other there's plenty of evidence that the structure was worked rather hard by it all.
Good news is there's lots we can do to improve the spectator experience without stressing the hardware and part of that is by putting a few tweaks on the engine setup. We're pretty sure the engine (which don't forget is a hybrid of original fuel system and a later core engine) was losing some thrust right up at the top and we're also pretty sure we know why. There was also a jetpipe temperature issue lower down when trying to hold the boat at a lower planing speed and we know exactly what that was all about and how to fix that one so we can give Ted a more powerful and responsive powerplant this time around. The runs in the second week on Bute got better and better as we all learned how to handle the machine so we have a great foundation for putting on an excellent show next time.

Give us another day or two and we'll tell you where when and how you can watch this weapon of a machine in action in 2019.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Scots Pine

Post by Scots Pine »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46386257

Now good old auntie Beeb throw some hand grenades into the mix.
Richie

Post by Richie »

For crying out loud.....😣😣😣

That’s us firmly branded as the “baddies” then.

Great.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Some interesting reporting, along with perhaps 'lets leave out some of the detailed 'facts' and focus on the contention of documents' and then throw in how lawyers may now need to be involved. At the November BEWG meeting, the Curator of the Ruskin had two (2) of the three (3) documents that set out the plans that were necessary for the boat to be returned to the Museum once it had been 'restored' to the condition that the craft was in as dawn broke on the morning of the 4th January 1967. I had to listen to one being read out, whilst trying to speed read two others (the BBP had an unsigned copy of document three). A well paid legal professional will have much more time to sort out something quite simple.

The July 2019 dates were selected by the Bluebird Event Working Group (which includes representation of Coniston Parish Council, who now seem to speak for that whole body). The BBP crew were asked to have the boat ready for those dates. We said yes, but you will need to confirm the many details of shoreside and water edge management, that will allow the craft to be operated safely. [Not forgetting that the LDNPA has the final say and they said they wanted a comprehensive Public Event Plan and had just asked for further details on three specific matters].

A few weeks ago the CPC said in a two sentence e mail that the event cannot take place. No explanation as to why was given at that time. Now we have the Council Leader saying it is a complicated exercise needing more time.

The Country & the World can now see that the organisation of the Event, a Festival that embraces the Proving Trial of K7 (which is all defined in the byelaws), is not something that can occur in nine months of planning and arranging.

Apart from not having any accurate 'end' date, the BEWG has had over three years, since it first met in March 2016, to get arrangements in place for the hard decisions on traffic. The Council were told in 2015 to consider how to accommodate the return of K7. Even when the proposed 'Bluebird K7' Byelaw was discussed and then confirmed the 'complexity' or key management issues were spelt out. That is well over a decade ago. [Where has that time gone?]

I am not sure why France should be thrown out as a Country to visit and to take the boat to. Perhaps someone was musing about Br***t when they wrote that down. No one has asked me to look at water there. Operations will have to add 'learn a foreign language' to the safety plan, so we can talk to Councillors (if they have such bodies) during the arrangements for running over there.

If those with diaries in the village are looking to any date in 2021 for the Proving Trial (yes I have leapt over 2020 as no one has responded to holding discussions about next year), then they had best be quick as I have other retirement plans on a 'bucket list'.

Would it be wise to place a wager that the Council Leader and the Museum Curator, on hearing that {after a Proving Trial?] the boat could be display ready by October 2019, will be making space to receive 'their' craft into the Bluebird Wing in that month?
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Whoa! calm, guys...

As a piece of reporting there was a lot of work went into that, I know I was on the receiving end! It doesn't contain any glaring errors and it's pretty well balanced.
Yes, we all know that Robbie is overly sentimental about the whole Campbell thing but that isn't a criticism. After all, at the end of a long family association and as a young guy he watched his 'uncle' Donald killed before his eyes.
And the museum sees things only in museum terms. Remember the battles we had with the museologists? All they ever want to do is kill objects to be stuffed and mounted and put in a museum that they then have to reluctantly allow the public to enter so nothing at all new there.
It's rather sad and unfortunate that the old-guard haven't got their heads around this reincarnation but so what, there's only really been one voice I've listened to throughout the project.

'She's too young to sit in some crusty, old museum...'
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Several interesting developments. It seems to me there is only one place the sad affair is going to end up and that's in a court .
1. Assuming the rights of an owner does not make it so. A court will need to determine that.
2. Miss Campbell passed away any legal rights to K7 in 2006. Moral rights may still have some relevance so far as public perception but I doubt any basis in law. It also is obvious that during the last 18 years Miss Campbell has changed her mind which cannot be helpful.
3. Clearly the fundamental issue is; at the time Bill Smith proceeded to restore was there any legal binding document setting out the terms of reference for the restoration. At that time was there any mention of payment for such work by Bill Smith and whoever came along thereafter to help the restoration; and there have been many. If not, and one can assume that is so, then its purely a labour of love by volunteers.
4. At the time restoration was agreed, what was agreed would happen to K7 upon completion. It seems it was intended to be placed in the Ruskin but thereafter the goal posts seem to have been moved by someone.

5. Currently a private company the BBP has assumed rights of an owner. K7 is housed in a privately owned building used for engineering. Looking
klong term what happens if the company owning that building goes out of business or god forbid Bill Smith suddenly drops down dead. Would we have Mr Bull as co director claiming joint ownership? The Ruskin museum is run by an enduring trust, not a private limited company and one can see that lasting long after many of us have departed this earth.
6. Also to remember is that many people at the outset contributed by direct donations or purchase of merchandise in the belief a certain course of action was to be followed with a defined outcome as stated at that time.. Those people have every right to question what is now taking place.

For some time it has been very clear that the story was going to have to be brought to a head and that situation is rapidly approaching.

I am pleased that the project leader is taking a more reserved and measured approach to his comments; perhaps his co director should do the same rather than inflaming a situation that's going to cause upset to a number of people.

I do have much sympathy for the good guys and girls who have given much time and effort to the restoration, they must be worried about what is going to happen next. One does not know what knowledge volunteers have of the background to the legalities going back 18 years and are probably not that interested. So many volunteers have come and gone it must be difficult to keep them all fully briefed however I am sure those who want to know will be fully briefed by the project leader. For the avoidance of doubt they have my utmost respect for a job well done.
Last edited by Ernie Lazenby on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Only one project leader, no co leader, or deputy leader....

What’s annoying me is the issue of something which should be celebrated as a triumph is now going to me mired as a legal throwing of teddy bears many years of work remembered only by one big failure at the end.....very apt indeed.

Stuffed and mounted... don’t agree with that term at all, the boat will be displayed in a safe environment, like Bill has said good and bad in the article.... if we can keep comments factual rather than petty that would help us all thrash this discussion out without it descending into the usual name calling etc :(

Social media will be into overdrive now, I would advocate that Bill and Vicky need to get heads together in person so cards can be laid on the table and both parties know what’s what
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Mike Bull wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 am
Richie wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 am Only one project leader, no co leader, or deputy leader....
Absolutely- and I take great exception to that baseless 'sympathy' comment of Ernie's.

To be clear, I absolutely think the boat should go in the museum- as long as we can periodically get her out again and keep her alive. It's the apparent signalling from Coniston that they see the museum door as strictly one-way that concerns me but as you say Rich, we'd know more if they actually came to the table.

For goodness sake Mike, I have sympathy for all those who have worked hard for years and are now probably upset/concerned about what is going to happen next. Why take exception to that?

A fact; you are co director listed at company house, yes one leader but as I said you are co director.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

The last 5 words of what you quote were not meant to imply anything, probably not the best choice of words by me but we can all make innocent mistakes which others are very happy to seize upon.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

"6. Also to remember is that many people at the outset contributed by direct donations or purchase of merchandise in the belief a certain course of action was to be followed with a defined outcome as stated at that time.. Those people have every right to question what is now taking place."

Back in 2001 when Bluebird K7 was recovered I think its fair to say on the balance of probabilities etc etc etc that no one could have ever anticipated the tenacity and skills of Bill and his team of volunteers. In 2001 was it ever a possibility that in the future K7 would run at speed under her own power again, probably not? But things have changed, again testament to Bill and his team (not forgetting they have not received one single penny for their work!!) A running K7, simply, is always going to be more inspiring to the current and next generation than if she gets stuffed in a museum, never to run again. The Coniston lot don't appear to want to run K7 on the lake ever again, no matter where she is kept for the rest of the year! Why??!!

In terms of Directorships, I guess it depends if all of the Directors have voting rights in terms of the future direction that could be taken. Or liquidate the Company

Rooting for Bill and all of the team and volunteers!