Coniston - Spiritual Home?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I keep hearing this, Coniston - spiritual home thing and I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. I mean, why not Ullswater where she set her first record, or Dumbelyung where she set her last?

Both worthy contenders, so why do people keep harping on about the one place where it all went wrong? Her darkest hour...

Coniston water is a creepy, foreboding place that doesn't seem to want her back on so many levels. So, at the risk of much controversy (like I give a flying fling at a rolling pastry) may I suggest that her new spiritual home be the Isle of Bute onto which she was so warmly welcomed along with her crew and on which, for the first time in her history of new roll-outs, she performed impeccably and not as the moody old bitch seen previously.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
midlife

Post by midlife »

It’s a fantastic place with fantastic people so why not Bute[.]
Cheers
Wayne
Edit, you’ll have to change the logo to spirit of the loch though lol

VdGGfan

Re: Coniston - Spiritual Home?

Post by VdGGfan »

Hear hear!
I was there at the relaunch and the emotion was tangible.
This island was buzzing for a fortnight at a time we really needed some cheering up.
I'm sure the people here would be happy to make Bluebird and the team honorary Brandanes (if such a title existed).
You will be welcome back here anytime.
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

Ullswater - still under the LDNPA surely - so similar probs to 'C'. Are there any speed restrictions already in place, do we know....? Believe DMC ultimately didn't like it because of its shape, with a dog leg - but not such a prob if not intending to run really fast.

Dumbleyung - perhaps a tad far....?

'C' (IMHO) needs to put in a bit more effort, if it want to be taken seriously. And that had better be soon. I certainly would not blame the BBP for looking elsewhere. Just leaves the not insignificant matter of the Ruskin Museum, who have build/had built the K7 'Garage'. Hmmm.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Coniston- The final resting place of a true british hero.
Coniston - The lake where the true british heros father, another true british, hero broke a world record.
Coniston- Forever associated with the Campbell record breaking dynasty.
Coniston- The place where Donald Campbell chose to try and break the 300 mph barrier costing him his life.
Coniston- In a national park, an area decreed a place of special scientific interest and thus subject to proper care controlled by people tasked with a difficult job..

DC said if there was an accident Donald stays with the boat- the debate about it being brought up from the depths is gone, past history but there's nothing to stop his boat, and it was his boat ableit it is only now part of his original boat, stopping with him in Coniston.

The people at Loch Fad obviously did a fantastic job for the team but it was a symbiotic relationship- Business in the area no doubt benefited from increased trade and the Project got all the facilities it needed. Hard to see a down side but that does not make the area associated with the boat by history. Creating new history does not obliterate many years of old history.

Its perhaps regrettable that the downside to Coniston were not voiced before the Ruskin Annex was built at considerable expense.

Those in position of authority often have to make difficult decisions notwithstanding a populist view of the crowd or indeed a very vocal group of well intentioned individuals. Quite often people in authority are sat on the horns of a dilemma without the wisdom of Solomon to help make difficult decisions. In my working life I have been to that place and its not comfortable.

People who want a particular course of action taken quite often do not see the bigger picture or if they do choose to ignore it, that's life nothing unusual. Perhaps one of the downsides of human nature.

Looking in from the outside we have arrived at a situation where one group of people who desire to move forward in a particular way, the project, are trying to deal with another group of people who have both legal and moral obligations arising from the positions they hold. That is always a recipe for stagnation, recrimination and negativity. One side has legal obligations while the other does not.

This all brings us back to the question that remains unanswered- What does the legal owner/s of K7 want to happen to her.

Solomon where are you!
Sam_68

Post by Sam_68 »

There's also the small matter of Broken promises, not that that seems to concern anybody associated with BBP, any more:

"... any contribution will be used in its entirety to ensure the successful completion of this project and the return of Donald Campbell's iconic boat to her spiritual home in Coniston, Cumbria, England."
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Mike Bull wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:46 am
Ernie Lazenby wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:35 am ableit it is only now part of his original boat
I'm going to take exception to that- she's far more than just 'part' of the original boat.
Mike sorry but I am factually correct, I said part of the original boat and that is a fact. New engine, new sponsons and much more. Not being critical at all. Its not the 'whole' original boat. Please dont be so sensitive to my original post with I think is measured and thoughtfull.
Sam_68

Post by Sam_68 »

Mike Bull wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:51 am ...which can still happen IF the 'authorities' over there get off their backsides and facilitate an event. So, no 'broken promise' there.
Sorry, Mike, but I didn't read anything there about it being conditional on them complying with your every whim.

There is an extension to the Ruskin Museum, built at significant expense and in good faith, based on previous promises, waiting to house K7.

BBP seems to have convinced itself that it has sole ownership of the boat. I think Ernie's repeated question on that matter needs to be answered.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Just to answer some of the questions in this thread so far. . These are answers as a volunteer on the BBP, .

Ullswater has a 10mph speed limit and is LDNPA 'controlled'. Do we want to take the boat there .....… another four years plus might be spent/wasted on a Bye Law change as there is no 'application' process declared for this lake.

The craft has been restored to its 1966/7 variant - so where is that's boat 'home' - it only ran in this configuration on Coniston Water. Is it that simple?

Donald liked Coniston and the village, because he went there four times to break the water speed record. Yes, there are three other record locations around the world as well - of which two may be accessible. Then there are many lakes that were 'tested' or just visited in Europe and Australasia and USA.

In 2008 when the Bluebird wing opened, the Coniston Water Bye Law change was still going through the midst of the consultation process. It (the revised Bye Law document) came into being by Secretary of State sign off in 2011. There were no true downsides voiced by anyone, except 'Bridget Jones'.

Only in December 2017 did the proverbial hit the fan when some dates, answering the 'when' question for the first time, had been openly discussed with the village. I use the word 'openly' in the sense that an event meeting was advised, not all of the villagers. These dates were ignored by the LDNPA who did offer others earlier in the year. These first dates were withdrawn from the table - by me.

I think you will find that the operators of the craft will have 'legal obligations', because the HSE do investigate individuals/teams should anything ever go wrong. Above all another recovery and rebuild would take time - that is said as a joke, because I have two lives to look after whenever the boat runs again.

I will watch out for any other questions - but as I do not have access to the details of 'ownership' then that is left in the air.

Any questions on 'spiritual' then please refer them to someone who knows about such matters - as Operations, I know nothing in this regard.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Sam_68 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:45 am There's also the small matter of Broken promises, not that that seems to concern anybody associated with BBP, any more:

"... any contribution will be used in its entirety to ensure the successful completion of this project and the return of Donald Campbell's iconic boat to her spiritual home in Coniston, Cumbria, England."
That piece of information/request by the project back in the day may cause a problem or two. Its more a case of what it does not say. Any individual or organisation reguesting funs needs to be very careful how a request is worded. As displayed it is very clear that K7 was to be returned to Coniston- no mention of going elsewhere.