Bluebird Archive Photos & Films

mtskull

Re: Bluebird Archive Photos & Films

Post by mtskull »

sheppane wrote:
I wonder who was trying it on with the January 1967 date.
More to the point, I wonder why they would? Surely older photos are of equal or greater interest?
Maybe the photographer was present at the 1967 attempt as well and the negatives have just been put in the wrong envelopes. (Which explanation would raise the tantalising prospect of a load of unseen photos from 1967 being out there, labelled as 1959...)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Looks like they had a serious raid of the Pathe archive! I think I've got virtually all of the Campbell/Cobb/Thomas footage they used, from a similar raid I undertook many years ago during an extremely quiet & boring afternoon at work. :D
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
klingon

Post by klingon »

Foreign language film is Vietnamese-from "Vietnam Today" programme- :D
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

The Donald Campbell Mystery much better in English,God that was hard work watching first few mins! One of a few mysteries this company put out some years ago now. If I recall correctly this one made much of smoke effects and mystery. Donald's death/destiny was already in his make up! Nice to see it went all over the world though spreading the word so to speak :D
Novie :?
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

excellent footage there mike :) :)
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

Nice footage, Nothing we haven't seen before but it looks like it has been (electronically) cleaned up a bit? I like the staged footage by the lake with the boys smokin' their favorite brand, mebbe nowadays it would be a six pack or more probably their prescribed statins :roll:
I am always impressed how cleanly the Beryl powered outfit runs compared to the 67' footage, the boat pulls away nicely and makes the plane in what appears to be a nice smooth progression. While there is still some rooster 'chop' at speed it appears nowhere near as bad the later Orpheus setup and does make me think (especially following our earlier threads about various systems being a bit dodgy) that 'The Man' was more than struggling a bit in 67' to get the girl to perform......
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

I agree that the Beryl powered version of the boat has a good overall look to the way it performs. I recall reading somewhere that it was once timed at around 285 mph when the pitot was blocked or failed and Donald couldn't determine his true speed. It kind of makes one wonder if he might have been better keeping the Beryl for the final attempt. Leo and the Team understood that setup very well and given some time and resource, could have really fine-tuned it to extract the maximum performance. Must admit though, I haven't done the maths and don't know if the nominal 3750 lb max thrust of the Beryl would have got K7 over the 300 mark. Unless some kind of additional short term boost could have been engineered - rather like that on the Orpheus version.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

286mph Mike not 285 me old mate :D re one way run which was right on the edge and up on the fins. And I must agree with our Ted re-Beryl version and transition into planing position a lot smoother and refined dear boy.
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

rob565uk wrote:I agree that the Beryl powered version of the boat has a good overall look to the way it performs. I recall reading somewhere that it was once timed at around 285 mph when the pitot was blocked or failed and Donald couldn't determine his true speed. It kind of makes one wonder if he might have been better keeping the Beryl for the final attempt. Leo and the Team understood that setup very well and given some time and resource, could have really fine-tuned it to extract the maximum performance. Must admit though, I haven't done the maths and don't know if the nominal 3750 lb max thrust of the Beryl would have got K7 over the 300 mark. Unless some kind of additional short term boost could have been engineered - rather like that on the Orpheus version.
Rob,

Re K7's top speed with the Beyrl, we calculated when doing the book that a bare 300mph was the absolute limit. Given K7's average of 286 on the first run in 1956 and 283 on the first run of the 64 record, the peak on both runs would have been just short of 300mph. The team were well aware of the knife edge they were operating on in terms of Bluebird's tendency to climb off the planes and run in ground effect. This tendency was less marked in higher operating temps, with less lift, but also lower engine thrust. In 56, K7 took flight as DC backed out of the throttle at the end of run one, and gave DC one hell of a fright. The ambient temp that September was in the mid teens in centigrade. In 1957, at near zero temp, K7 was on the fins at anything over 260mph. In 64, with a better configuration afforded by the fixed stabilising fin and revised sponson fairings, and a higher ambient temp, K7's performance was just about perfect. The higher ambient temp in the mid twenties centigrade helped make the difference.

Contrast that with low single figure ambient temp on Jan 4th 67, more thrust and a much higher peak speed, K7 had reached the edge and crossed over its safe operating envelope.

Ted makes a good point about K7 appearing to perform that much better with the Beyrl than the Orpheus. This is indeed something which we noticed when doing the book, and I think the team were becoming very aware of the different running characteristics, and that running in very low ambient temp did pose some potential issues.

It's perhaps for that reason that DC always preferred, if it had been possible to go back to Dumbleyung for the attempt on the 300. The lack of finance never allowed that to be a realistic option. The original plan of Coniston in September 66 would have to be the compromise. Little did they know they would still be there in January 1967...
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

An illustration of K7's fundamental problem before the changes made in 58, K7 operating in ground effect in November 57. Those fins don't develop enough lift to hold up a 5000lb craft. 260mph and all the shoes out. (should reading wedges out) Any faster, and K7 would have been airborne at temperatures around 0 degrees C.
10308103_1383368328614143_9004526108007824644_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sheppane on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/