What have forum members been up to?

Renegadenemo

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by Renegadenemo »

Turbinia doesn't ring a bell.
The Anson was similarly decorated back then, but then many were so it might've been one I didn't get into - can't have been many, though, as I was a native of Wallsend in that era and the Ship in The Hole was literally at the end of my street.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

The Fosse ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
MJB

Post by MJB »

I see I've got you thinking about that one !

I remember that we would walk out of one of the gates from the Hadrian yard to the pub, have a pint and a sandwich or something and then back to the yard and could just about do that in the lunch hour, that's why I thought it might have been where the Hadrian Lodge Hotel is now because on Google that looks like it might not be too far away. I guess it will remain for me one of life's great mysteries !!

Martin
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I remember that we would walk out of one of the gates from the Hadrian yard to the pub, have a pint and a sandwich or something and then back to the yard and could just about do that in the lunch hour, that's why I thought it might have been where the Hadrian Lodge Hotel is now because on Google that looks like it might not be too far away. I guess it will remain for me one of life's great mysteries !!
If it was the Hadrian Yard I have a fair idea... will swing by tomorrow and remind myself what the place is called. It's closed down and all buttoned up now but it's till standing.

Richie

Post by Richie »

Yeah I know the one now, it stands alone, and is still there now.

You had the "Dock" down by O'briens yard,

Or the one I am thinking of is on Gainers Terrace "The Ship Inn" but you have that one covered... there are none left nearby (within a quick walk) other than the Bogey Chain down on Ropery Lane or the Albion at the bottom of Ropery lane ?

if its further towards the tyne tunnel then it would be the Duke of Wellington which is now a Sambuca.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

the Albion at the bottom of Ropery lane
That's the one I was thinking of.

MJB

Post by MJB »

The Albion - now that does ring a bell. Had a look on Google maps and I reckon that's the one, unless of course someone says that it never had any pictures on the wall!! I think I can die happy now that it's cleared up !

Must get back to catching up with the diary, still a few years to go. Also ordered the full set of Rebuilding Bluebird DVDs last night at about 10.00pm only to receive an email this morning at 09.30am to say they had been dispatched. Now that's what I call fast service so please pass on my thanks. My weekend is now sorted !!

Martin
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The Albion - now that does ring a bell. Had a look on Google maps and I reckon that's the one, unless of course someone says that it never had any pictures on the wall!! I think I can die happy now that it's cleared up !
I used to get in there on a Friday afternoon for a swift one and it had a few pic's on the walls as I recall so it looks like you've found your pub. Enjoy the DVDs. A whole weekend of us lot talking bo'ocks. Now there's a treat!

MJB

Post by MJB »

A whole weekend of us lot talking bo'ocks.......that's 'normal for Norfolk' or as we like to say (quickly) we're 'Norfolk and Good', and as I obviously slept through the last 15 years, being blissfully unaware of your project until recently I'm looking forward to bringing myself up to speed as best as I can (yes I know it sounds nerdy but hey ho!)

TTB or 'talking total bo'ocks ' was a highly refined art form in the offshore industry, I'll let you know your score out of ten once I've seen them all !

Martin
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

TTB or 'talking total bo'ocks ' was a highly refined art form in the offshore industry, I'll let you know your score out of ten once I've seen them all
No need - just go straight to the outtakes. :lol: