Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Richie

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Richie »

Supported by Longbow... that well known firm who helped to build that well known hydroplane that doesn't work...

Best of luck to them
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It is easy to forget that in the early eighties a project leader showed a few drawings and an Avon jet engine on a stand, all to get his project back on track after rolling the first jet car that was built for him.
It's equally easy to forget that the early eighties happened over thirty years ago and in this day and age a very much higher standard is expected from potential sponsors.

Trust me - I know...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

malcolm uk wrote:You did forgot the Viper engine and a safety capsule with F16 screen.
A buck and an F16 screen don't add up to a UIM-compliant safety capsule.
As for a Viper engine, there's one on eBay now. Ready made Water Speed Record project for £2995, anyone? Just add a website and you're away...
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'm not a huge fan of the Viper engine. It doesn't quite know what to be. Conceived as a throwaway drone engine it doesn't really fit anywhere into the R-R stable and has a weird, hybrid fuel system that's part R-R and part Lucas. We had to learn the Viper fuel system a few months back to get one going properly so it's familiar territory.
The 600 series is a better engine but not too many of those around. There's a lot of mag-thorium on them too.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Mike Bull wrote:Rosco is having some bother-
:(
I have been following this on Rosco's site For some time as it has unfolded. This latest development looks like a potential show-stopper, but Rosco is made of pretty stern stuff and I hope may find a way round it.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

A crying shame, this.

I don't known Rosco personally at all, but he definitely deserves a crack at the record and is a fantastic example to anyone who ever wanted to do big things with small resources.

I would not be at all surprised if someone from his team, or a selection of someones from his team, staged a rescue bid by putting up the finance to buy the assets from whomever is holding them for the benefit of the creditors. It happened with us. There's no reason why it couldn't happen the same way with them - unless the sum involved is too excessive and beyond reach.

I want the record to remain in British hands, of course. But for there to be no competition for the Bloodhound team would be a huge disappointment for everybody.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

When I briefly visited Oz for Futch's book launch it was in the midst of their elections for their new PM and the whole place was up in arms at the ridiculous situation of them having had six PMs in as many years or some such. It's therefore no surprise that this has happened but surely to goodness someone in power will see through the nonsense and fix it for the sake of the nation.

Richie

Post by Richie »

Looks great !

Is it just me, or is the engine a stripped down Orpheus ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ken has got his boat running...
It looks stripped down compared to the 101 because the 803 has the oil tank on the far side where we can't see it in that shot. Very clean start and acceleration to idle. Oh, how I wish we could use that later piston pump on our engine - the slow production of servo pressure was the bane of our lives last summer using K7's original pump, then the minute we fired Engine #2 we saw what the later one could do. Never mind - we're there now.
Can't wait to see Ken's new boat on the water.

midlife

Post by midlife »

Was it just me or did anyone else feel uncomfortable when that guy was dangling that camera near the intake?
Cheers
Wayne