Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Renegadenemo

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Renegadenemo »

Should we warn anyone Bill, Greenpeace, coast guard etc?
Used to dive for Greenpeace. They're all lunatics - in a nice way. Last trip was on Esperanza in 2005, I think. Grabbing coral of the Isle of Mingulay. Happy days.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Renegadenemo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:09 am
I hope that those who study the subject of speed history learn from this story and we will see it applied to a subject close to enthusiasts hearts.
Have no fear, Malcolm. 'Diver Bill Smith' is about to return - gulp! :lol:
I was able to watch a wreck diving programme (probably about 2004) on the box, where a side scan radar was being used. Now, who should be watching the screen and interpreting the images ..... ???
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Richard's found a new project then, and this time its on water! http://www.railtonwaterspeed.uk/
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

ace_chris wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:28 pm Well said Sir Malcolm! And a similar situation with Bluebird K3 I guess too

Don't get that, K3 was sold by Sir Malcolm, and has a chain of documented sales until PFH brought it when I told him Thorpe Park were selling it. There's no confusion over ownership, it goes where the owner says it does!

As for Richard's new project, it's an interesting one.

I found the model during research for the Railton biography and my own Crusader book. Tempted as I was to buy it, I mentioned it to Richard who was all over the idea, and he went and gave the then owner one hell of a shock when he knocked on the door!

Sadly, no drawings survive by Railton on what he envisaged, so the rear floats are as the model was built, RAR always getting it to work first, then worry about getting it to float, but we are keen to see if it works. But I do have two sketches Railton did, so who knows!!!

My Crusader book is just on the point of going to press, but I have two additions to do, Richard's project and another very exciting new addition to the Crusader tail...........
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Jessi Combs’s record attempts in North American Eagle have ended tragically:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-49504222
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Mike Bull wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:28 pm
mtskull wrote:Am I just very cynical, or am I correct in thinking that 477mph in a wingless 1950's aircraft is pushing neither the boundaries of speed nor technology?
If you're very cynical, then so am I. I think NAE will either...

1, quietly go away and never achieve anything,
2, be put out of business by Bloodhound or
3, kill someone.
Prophetic words, Mr. Bull.....
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I was never a fan of NAE. It was a compromise at best and not a great one in my opinion. Such a shame and a total waste of a young life.

Richie

Post by Richie »

Not sure if this is really in the right forum, but anyway thought I would post up some recently found images of my dad racing powerboats back in the day, been wittering on about it at the workshop quite a bit as we dabble with support boats et al...

Anyway, here it is, from memory I think the hull was a Phantom 16 fitted with a single 75 on the back, I recall my old man talking about what he did to the engine, which was pushing out more like 125+.... Ted can correct me if I my memory is mistaken

Engine had a shortened leg with the exhaust port drilled out of the side near the top, crank case had been filled, performance reed valves fitted, performance head and carbs, lightened and balanced rods / pistons... i recall it had a peculiar looking prop on it which they were very secretive about... the name kleever seems to stick in my mind... lots of money I know that much !

My old man raced this boat which was originally called “The Mean Machine” but later called “Snap-on” due to the full sponsorship gig they got. He raced from 1984 - 87 when he had to stop due to injury to his back (I’d imagine a number of the guys and gals went out with back injuries) however if I recall correctly he was British champion in his class on more than one occasion and I even recall meeting Ian Bothham on one event too (happy memories)

My old man never really talked about it much after giving up, despite his and Arthur’s achievements in that boat...always wondered what happened to it.

The image with the three blokes is one year they cleaned up, the guy on the left has something to do with Marlborough racing, I recall Noel Edmunds was at that gig too, the guy in the middle is Arthur Gardiner and the guy on the right is my old man.. they were a formidable team.

Just thought I’d share, quietly proud of my old man...don’t tell him though !
A301996C-59D4-4165-838E-7D04EFBDC7F7.jpeg
1265D689-6571-4D8E-AC5C-021D0FA407D6.jpeg
CB82928C-A7FD-408C-89CD-9DABACB2C118.jpeg
CF4ACB82-FB83-4697-AFC3-2725393FEC07.jpeg
201DAEEE-CB15-4826-BE24-5F455417D3C0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Great story and photos Richie. Thanks for sharing :D

Are you sure that very handsome chap is your Dad? :lol:

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Did he name it after you, Rich? :lol: