Lew Norris' Death

KW Mitchell

Lew Norris' Death

Post by KW Mitchell »

Group members may not have picked-up that Lew Norris, Co-Designer of Bluebird with his brother Ken, passed away on Feb. 13th.

An obituary appears on the Telegraph's website:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... orris.html

I have no doubt that all in the Project and Support Group would wish to convey their sincere condolences to his wife and family.

Another link with the Campbell Era is broken ---------------.
jonwrightk7

Re: Lew Norris' Death

Post by jonwrightk7 »

if it wasnt for the hlfs beauracuracy he may have seen his and his brother kens most famous achievement afloat on coniston!!
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We asked the Hapless Lottery Failure to fast-track our application in 2002 specifically because both Ken and Lew were mentally and physically able to be involved in the rebuild process and wanted to be a part of it. We had everything in place to make the application there and then but the lottery-flops said no, it would have to go through the proper channels. Now neither Norris Brother will ever see the outcome - the chance was there and the bureaucrats didn't have the balls to run with it.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

What I find equally infuriating is that the Norris brothers were never to receive any honours for their many achievements.

Engineers et al seem eternally disadvantaged in this regard, whereas bent Bankers -------------------!!
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

hi all. This country is in the ****! people of the calibre of the norris bros are few and far between these days. What donald whould make of the country at the moment, God only knows. here were two men who should have been knighted at the very least!!! joining the ranks of richard noble and andy green. two true brit heroes ignored by this "up its own arse" government long live the bbp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ken and Lew were two of the most unassuming blokes I've ever met. I can't begin to claim I knew either of them beyond the few hours we spent on the phone and the occasional lunch but - and I may have this completely wrong - I can imagine them being mortified at the thought of being hauled up to the palace to receive a knighthood. How I wish they were around so we could show them our work and Lew's passing only hardens the resolve of the BBP team to finish what we set out to do.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

couldnt agree with you more!
Norris

Post by Norris »

Hi all,

Lew and Ken are my great uncles and I have fond memories of them as a child. They were amazing and thankyou for all your kind words with Lew's passing. I wish you the best of luck in the Bluebird project and I hope one day I will be able to see it for real.

Thanks
TONYF

Post by TONYF »

Hi never posted before but a keen watcher of the project.
Today I attended Lews funeral , and a loverly service it was.
Ive known Lew and his wife for the last 10 years and its been a pleasure to listen to lew and Beryls stories , sadly its also been hard to seen Lews deteriation over the last few years. He use to sit and tell me of all his tales concerning the Bluebird etc..but as time wore on he couldnt remember the great work he had done.
I saw Lew two days before he died and it was a shock to see what dementia can do to a brilliant mind.
I will still see his wife and over a drink listen to their lovely stories concerning the Bluebird and Donald Campbell.
I will continue to see his wife ( who has presented our club with a signed picture by Donald Campbell of the Bluebird)
All I can say as a new comer to the bluebird is what a brilliant engineer and what a nice bloke he was.
LEWIS HUNT NORRIS 1924......2009 R.I.P.
shropshirelad

Post by shropshirelad »

Could not agree with the comments above more what a shame that they will not get to see there bird fly again.