Isle of Bute

Engine 711

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by Engine 711 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Loch Fad vids seem to be here, on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt4TOP ... 0nIE7Gkflw

All fabulous. Great sight..! Again - Well Done To All...!

:D
Last edited by Engine 711 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Since 4th January 1967..

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Interesting to think, that there is now way more video of K7 running, there there ever was before, until she went to Bute.... :)

As an engineer, I found it fascinating to watch how K7 gets up on the plane, from stationary. I had read that DMC used the rudder to help with this, I think....? Not sure this is true, as neither Ted W or Stew C seemed to have any trouble, getting her up on her shoes. Perhaps with the 'final' 1967 trim, its now easier....?

Just based on my observations (of the vids) there seems to be a number of stages, in getting her up:

- Slow forward motion, all level
- Speed increases and the stern digs in as the front planes start to rise
- More speed, as the front planes come further out
- Still more speed and the stern lifts out too, to level the craft
- On the plane and away - add more power/speed as required...

Would be interesting to get a pilots view on this process. I probably have it all wrong..... :(
Since 4th January 1967..

Chris Williams

Post by Chris Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 pm

From the test runs already accomplished, can one of the BBP team say at what speed she gets up on to the plane?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 pm

Max speed recorded was a totally effortless 157mph but there just isn't enough loch. The boat needs to be quite high on her wedges to keep her belly from slapping down and that means too much speed. We have learned a great deal so we've made the call that there's to be no more high speed runs. Ted carried a extra second of power today and had to deploy the water brake to stop so that's plenty for now.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Canopener Al

Post by Canopener Al » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 pm
Max speed recorded was a totally effortless 157mph but there just isn't enough loch. The boat needs to be quite high on her wedges to keep her belly from slapping down and that means too much speed. We have learned a great deal so we've made the call that there's to be no more high speed runs. Ted carried a extra second of power today and had to deploy the water brake to stop so that's plenty for now.
Bill, If Carlsberg built Hydroplanes, you have shown them who to do it.

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:28 am

Renegadenemo wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 pm
Good that the Water Brake was functional.... ;)

Only 157mph... Wow. K7 does work rather well - a testimony not only to the BBP team but also to DMC's team, too.

Again - Well Done to all. Deserving of a wee dram or a pint all round... :D
Since 4th January 1967..

CapnGeoff

Post by CapnGeoff » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 am

Great to see Bluebird here in The Clyde, viewing her in The Lakes I never imagined such a treat so close to my home.
Dearly want to see her in/on Loch Fad asap, this is Saturday 11th......only just got clearance from admin to view this board.....may I see her today or Sunday at all?
Kind wished for continued successes, Geoff.

Chris Williams

Post by Chris Williams » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Congratulations Bill and the team. 157mph is incredible. She looked magnificent and well in control. Superb.

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:53 pm

CapnGeoff wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 am
Great to see Bluebird here in The Clyde, viewing her in The Lakes I never imagined such a treat so close to my home.
Dearly want to see her in/on Loch Fad asap, this is Saturday 11th......only just got clearance from admin to view this board.....may I see her today or Sunday at all?
Kind wished for continued successes, Geoff.
K7 is at the Bute Highland Games, now - https://twitter.com/bluebirdk7/status/1 ... 3043015681

Believe she is still on Bute until 16th August.... That was the plan.
Since 4th January 1967..

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:20 pm

From a personal perspective, my thanks to all for a great spectacle this week... and a tribute to a great man and feats of engineering.

I noticed that the K7 unlimited markings don’t appear on the sponsons. Is that just because they haven’t been painted on yet, or are you not allowed to for some reason?

I was also thinking that the stopwatch was missing from the cockpit... and then I wondered how anyone could have imagined the availability of a spare hand to operate it!! Was it just for show?